Sunday, August 16, 2009

District 9



Going into see this film, I had few to hardly no expectations about what it would be. I had heard from critics and from friends that it was considered one of the best Sci-Fi movies of the 21st Century or that it did not disappoint. True, it was a great film. A joy to watch right up till the end. But I couldn't help but feel a slight sadness at the fact that the alien race was not explored to their full potential. Not that the movie was bad in any way, but I guess I just wanted a little....more? Either way, I would recommend this to anyone that loves either Alien movies, Sci-Fi Action movies, or SFX gurus. The Mecha suit alone makes this a feast to the eyes. The animation done with the aliens was nothing less than extrodinary. This film needs to be seen atleast once. The message it sends is that of tolerence as a species. Are we really that bad as humans? The answer is scary. This movie is Great! Best film of the year though? Probably not. But who needs perfection anyway.

B-

2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree on the creature animation front, I thought a lot of the animation was quite poor.
    The weight of the creatures was wrong in many of the shots, though the creatures themselves were well modelled and rigged. I also thought the compositing was very average too.
    I enjoyed the movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each to his or her own. I must say though, this movie made a lot of money. Maybe the sequel will have better SFX, but I felt they were pretty awesome already.

    ReplyDelete